On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, James Bucknell wrote:

> there isn't much crossover in the birthplace of hip hop in the south
> bronx/upper manhattan. when i'd go to the police athletics league gym on
> 118st and manhattan ave. any house, electro or techno cds i put on promptly
> got thrown off and replaced by hot 97 (bringing you blazin hip hop). i
> declined to dj at our block party because it was patently obvious that
> nobody was interested in hearing anything but hip hop (and the electric
> slide, of course). but block parties are a genre of their own.
> james

I don't know if I'd expect cross over there though.  The Black east coast,
for reasons I don't completely understand, has always looked to hiphop as
its dance music of choice.  Not house (exception perhaps being the
hip-house craze), not techno.  Much more diversity in spots like detroit
and chicago, largely because they'd created musics of their own that were
played alongside of hiphop.

peace
lks