Nail meet Hammer - bang!  Exactly Ken.  Imo the word and meaning of Electro
has been hijacked and the plane is in danger of being blown up.
"Electro" has been slapped on as a prefix because it became the hot word -
it sold magazines like Mixmag and URB, it sold fashion accessories at Hot
Topic, and it sold records at HMV/Best Buy.  Why?  Because few people
buying it were old enough to know it the first time.  They'd heard the word
but didn't hear the sound.

MEK

"Odeluga, Ken" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 12/03/2007 09:53:26 AM:

> True say.
>
> On the one hand we could take the chance to decry the futility and
> at times laughable nature of genres and their names (usually a good
> thing to do). We could also be magnanimous and reiterate how
> 'scene's change,' 'everything evolves', etc. But on the other hand
> there is a worthwhile point to be made about the way widely accepted
> meanings can evolve (and more sinisterly, be hi-jacked so that
> they're *made* to evolve!) in such a way that important social
> underpinnings of a genre at its outset could be potentially
> downplayed and perhaps in future, start to be forgotten.
>
> What do we want electro to mean?
>
> Kraftwerk+Parliament?
>
> Or
>
> Fischerspooner+Tiga?