the "heartfelt" rationale is utter dinosaur bs, pretty much exactly
mirroring the elitist anti-pop music pseudo-intellectual music
criticism of adorno and horkheimer during the 1940's.

anybody heard of jay greenberg? he's a child prodigy who entered
Juilliard at age 11, and if you haven't heard of him, you should
remember his name. his instructor at Julliard said of him on 60
minutes, "We are talking about a prodigy of the level of the greatest
prodigies in history, when it comes to composition. I am talking about
the likes of Mozart, and Mendelssohn, and Saint-Saƫns."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_Greenberg

he went to elementary school (very briefly) in chapel hill, nc, where
my best friend had the pleasure of teaching him. we hooked him up with
cubase, and burned him cd's of stuff like dmay, c2, john beltran,
detroit escalator, etc. he didn't fall in love with it, but he took a
serious interest in techno, synthetic sounds, and he makes all his
music using cubase -- it is only later performed by orchestras. that's
good enough proof for me.

this is beside the point that classical music is not typically
rhythmically complex to begin with, so the comparison to 4/4 16 step
quantizing is totally off the mark to begin with.

at one point some classical students from duke were invited to one of
my music theory classes at unc, and they were all blending classical
music with modern production techniques, sampling, dance rhythms,
polyrhythms, etc. i can't say i liked any of what i heard that day
though