I think this is a bit unfair. Adorno's thinking is far too complex to
be merely "discredited." I disagree with many of Adorno's positions
(his take on jazz verges on racism), but I still have to say the guy
was a complete genius, so that even when he was wrong, he could at the
same time be incredibly insightful. Not only that, he could be as
harsh critiquing J S Bach as critiquing pop, and even his view of pop
was more complex than what his detractors claim, so in my opinion he's
hardly the best posterboy for pro-classical, anti-pop... This is way
too complex to talk about on 313 though.

I will mention that Adorno viewed ALL art as failure, because he
thought that there was a utopian impulse in art, that could never be
fulfilled in the artwork itself, but only in some kind of
socio-political upheaval outside the realm of art. This is a pretty
fair way of viewing things, if you ask me ... you could certainly look
at Detroit techno as also containing some utopian impulses, dreaming
of a different kind of world, a different kind of Detroit, seeing
beauty and potential in the decay...

Now whether an orchestra covering techno is any good ... I think that
is really going to depend on how well its arranged and performed, not
on the idea itself. I'm skeptical, but then again, I would have never
believed that Senor Coconut would be any good, but some of those
covers do indeed work for me.

~David