Ouch! I've never shopped in their physical store.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 9:39 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: 313@hyperreal.org
Subject: RE: (313) US Mail Order

LOL - I just was in that shop this weekend with a 313 lurker after not
going there in well over a year (at least)
that store is in such a miserable condition
granted they've gone mostly online but they've always had problems with the
brick & mortar

First off - they've always filed the records by artists FIRST name so
you'll find your Derrick May, for example, in the "D" section - not the "M"
now how often do you recall the first name of an artist but always remember
the last name?  For me it's about 98% because I'm afflicted with record
store amnesia.  You know, you go into a shop and forget not only the names
of the records you are looking for but your name as well.
For some reason the owner thought he had to reinvent the wheel but he made
it square.

Second, the shop was always (actually still is) packed to the gills with
multiples of the same mediocre records.  The bins are so full it's hard to
flip through them.  And it looks like they might have tons of different
records but they don't.  They have anywhere between five and ten of the
same records.  I kept coming across the same titles again and again this
weekend.

Third - they rarely if ever seem to be able to get anything you special
order

At one point they were incredibly disorganized.  Never knew what they had
in stock.  It would show up in their online database but then it wouldn't
be where it was supposed to be in the shop.  You'd have to dig and dig and
dig and dig and dig and dig and dig...  I've spent nearly an hour looking
for one fuxking record on multiple occasions.  The staff would help but
then give up as well.

Their deep house and house sections - I can't tell what the hell kind of
criteria they are using to differentiate between the two.  I found MAW in
the house section and really cheesy "tech-house" in the deep house section
along with other MAW selections.  It makes no sense.

On top of all this they used to have DJs playing some of the most obnoxious
trance music so freaking loud you could barely hear what you were listening
to in the headphones at the listening stations - of which they only have
one now

Now this last time we were in there I was looking for some things they said
they had online.  I couldn't find them so I went to the shop owner who was
in the middle of either tearing apart the walls of the store or rebuilding
it (seriously).  He looked the items up and said they had them but they
were downstairs (in the employee only basement area).  He asked me if I
wanted the items because he'd have to go look for them and that it was
easier if I just placed the order online!
Fer fxck sake - I'm in the gd store!  How much easier can I make it for
them?  Put the damn thing out on the shelf and you won't have to pull the
records for me.

Seems like they're selling primarily overpriced streetwear clothing now in
the store.

Oh, he also said he wanted to concentrate their stock primarily on new
releases.  So I guess he's going to continually be discounting records.
That's the only positive side of things.  Give me a big fat discount for
putting up with all his crazy b.s.

so, if you come to Mpls don't count on finding much in store at Vital Vinyl
(the name is a joke - most of it is NOT vital)
shopping for techno/house/etc. records in Minneapolis has become a pain
since the last good shop closed to make way for a high-rise condo

MEK

"Anton Banks \(www.antonbanks.com\)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 01/22/2008
07:33:06 PM: