Little defence on this one: let me compare with my favourite and local store
(which as those from Manchester on the list will tell
you I kind of inhabit and know them so well I often "serve myself" straight
from their file etc.) Piccadilly Records
http://www.piccadillyrecords.com/ (I'm sure 95% of people on here know them but
for those that don't I don't just shop there so much
as they're local, they're top notch both online and walk in IMHO).
They file in the way you obviously prefer, i.e. by surname.  The only thing is
this creates one big problem:  that's all fine if it
was nothing but genuine artist name (e.g. "Kenny Larkin" file under "L") or
band name ("Octave One" file under "O") but there are
many that fall in a grey area in between (I haven't got brilliant examples
right now but just glancing at their site I see "Dan
Electro").  It's a shame I haven't got good examples as without them it seems
like it isn't a BIG problem, just one a little
experience or at worst 2 tries will sort out.  But, if you can, take it from me
on trust, it is a big problem and so many times you
don't know where the heck to look for stuff, you could go (as they do) "Dan
Electro, made up name = band name, file under D" or you
could go "OK it's made up but still file under E" but then there's another case
"in between" which you can't make your mind up
about.  Sometimes there are 3 possible locations for a record.  I actually
think I like the other system you say that shop is using
better.