That's a mystery in so many ways.  I tried figuring it out by looking
at the message source but I couldn't tell what was triggering GMail
into acting nutty. Unless Placid wants to change mail clients, we're
stuck with it. As much as I like GMail, sending a question to their
support team has never gotten me a reply, and they make it really hard
to figure out how to even ask them a question.