The rule that a new line in the ABC must mean a new stave on the printed output unless terminated by a \ was a fundamental error. The default should have been the other way round.

Printing instructions should be explicitly coded (c.f Jim Vint's !) or determined by run-time parameters (set number of measures per line, etc). This would have left \ available for true continuation, as with w: field overruns

Phil Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 28 Oct 2005, at 01:14, Hudson Lacerda wrote:

> Besides that, we have also (with ABC 2.0) the "s:" field:
>
> X:1
> T:O Ovo
> C:Hermeto
> M:2/4
> K:C
> c_BAG   | ECEG    FEDC | ECEG    c_BAG | ECEG     FEDC | C4 :|
> s: +mf+ | "C7"*** "Bb" | "C7"*** "Gm7" | "C7"**** "Bb" | "C"

Of course, I'd forgotten that.

> Just like the "w:" field, "s:" has the problem of causing long lines.
>
> The line continuation "\" character is not a suitable solution in many
> cases because destroys the visual correspondence between notes and
> symbols (or syllables).

Long lines are only a problem when mailing abcs or posting them
to discussion groups.  The "\" character and the end of line
character which follows it are easy enough to remove using Find
and Replace in a text editor, which is one good reason for the
"continued on the next line" rule.

> BTW, I think ABC lacks a way to indicate a *musical* line
> concatenation.
> R.D. and Phil have argued that line continuations "\" should not be
> used
> for "concatenate this line with the next similar line", but I use it
> this way in virtually all my ABC files, in the absence of a better
> solution. In many circunstances, I need (for legibility) write few
> measures per line or even a time per line, althogh they are intended to
> be printed in the same music line.

Maybe we do need a mechanism for that, separate from the "\" then?

Phil Taylor

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS