Congratulations, Taky, on your new 30" monitor! While we're on the 
subject of monitors for video editing, I'd like to ask the list about 
their experiences with component video input on their monitors -- if 
the monitors offer it. How well does it play back HD video?

Some quick background: I bought a Dell 24" monitor with 1920x1600 
resolution. I love it for computer work, but one reason I bought it 
was its component video input. I reasoned that I could use it to plug 
in my Sony A1U camcorder to view HDV footage straight from the 
camcorder. In this way it serves as a stand-alone HD monitor with 
1080i playback capability.

Well, it is a stand-alone HD monitor, but playback quality is bad: 
chunky, loss of detail, bad color, and altogether not very appealing. 
I get much better results plugging my camcorder via FireWire into my 
computer, running VLC Media Player, and playing the live video feed 
from the camcorder in full-screen mode. That, of course, defeats the 
whole idea of a stand-alone HD monitor.

I've read reviews of other high-resolution computer monitors 
(typically 24-inchers) that should -- in theory -- work as a 
stand-alone HDV monitor. The reviews talk only about performance 
using DVI connections from the computer, never component input video 
quality. The Gateway FDP2485W sounds very interesting with Faroudja 
circuitry for incoming component video signals, but it's had bad 
reviews for a serious ghosting problem with DVI connections.

So: who's got feedback on computer monitors that also work as a 
stand-alone HDV monitor? It would be a great tool for HDV editors who 
want to view footage straight from the camcorder. It's also great for 
cheapskate videographers like me who don't want to have to buy two 
components when one can do double duty.

Thanks,

Mike Boom



 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Adobe-Premiere/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Adobe-Premiere/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] 
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 

Reply via email to