From: Chuck Macenski
Sent: Wednesday, August 1, 2018 5:40 PM
To: af@af.afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] OT 3d printing and guns

If the "law" in question is that the export of a 3D printed design is an ITAR
violation, then that's what the discussion (in the courts) should be about.
Having said that, it is my limited understanding that the judge in the case was
more worried about its use inside the US. To me, that seems like a stretch. You
should not read my personal position on whether this is a good idea into this
comment; I just wish people would argue about controversial issues honestly
rather than, as an example, using an ITAR restriction to control distribution
within the US. This is far from the only issue where people argue their
position based on one set of facts when their real concern is something quite
different.