From: Mathew Howard
Sent: Wednesday, August 1, 2018 10:29 AM
To: AFMUG
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] OT 3d printing and guns

Yeah... most people seem to have a very unrealistic idea of what a 3D printer
actually does.  I'm pretty sure I can't go buy a cheap 3D printer, download
that file, and have it spit out a functional gun 10 minutes later.

If I post instructions on the internet for building a gun out of an old
bicycle, using a file and a hacksaw, would that be illegal? it's really no
different...

On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 11:12 AM Seth Mattinen <se...@rollernet.us> wrote:

  On 8/1/18 8:56 AM, ch...@wbmfg.com wrote:
  > I had all of the 3D files for an AR-15 years ago.
  > Widely available for download.
  > Easy to send to a 3D printer or a CNC milling machine.
  > The news is hyping this as something new.  I’ll bet those files I
  > downloaded are at least 10 years old.
  > Give me a gun, micrometer, calipers, height gauge and I will re-create
  > those files in a day.
  > What is the difference between thick walled tubing and a barrel?
  > Is a file that gives the design for a trigger or hammer going to be
  > outlawed.
  > But what if you make cap guns...  Squire guns... airsoft or paint ball
  > guns....
  > And are they going to outlaw just certain gun part files or combinations
  > of files.... this seems totally impossible to outlaw.

  It seems like people think anyone can go buy a $90 entry level 3D
  printer and crank out a fully functional weapon instantly. Well,
  something for stabbing could be done in one print. I have to assume that
  everyone who is freaking out has never seen a real 3D printer.