The obvious difference there is that it's going to take a certain amount of
skill to use a manual lathe and mill. They're making it sound like any
idiot can just print out a complete, fully functional gun. Even with one of
those really good 6 figure printers, I'm assuming you're still going to at
least have to assemble the thing (not that it's really matters anyway, if
you can afford to spend that kind of money, you're going to be able to get
as many untraceable guns as you want). Anyway, if somebody actually did
manage to make a gun with a $90 3D printer, what are the chances it won't
blow up in their face when they try to use it?

Pencils do seem pretty dangerous... and do we really need them, when safe,
soft tipped sharpies are so easily available? It would probably be best if
all just lived in padded cells, and were only allowed to use our sporks at
meal times, under proper supervision...