We have Hartford but do not have any smallish claims like that to know
what their response would be. I would be more concerned about making
any claim as a brand new company / policyholder. What's the $$ of the
damage in question. My general policy is for a damage that we were
really at fault, under maybe $3000ish I would just pay it. Same for a
damaged piece of equipment etc. Anything over $5k I would probably
make a claim. When we have had an at-fault claim, I have had success
in negotiating with the utility. Local power/gas co will knock off 25%
for prompt payment and asking nicely. Some utilities really inflate
the repair costs and others are very reasonable. If it's an inflated
bill I would have a discussion about that. We do get damage bills all
the time for telco cables that were mismarked and we hit and were not
at fault, those I tell them once we were not at fault and here is why
and then ignore them. Eventually they give up and stop bothering.