1) Non-industrial temperature range.
2) Note the requirement for a SD card.
3) 2.5W power consumption vs < 1W (I sell a LOT based on this alone).
4) Product lifetime - how long are these going to be available (look at the
raspberry Pi - how many revs have there been - all slightly incompatible
with each other?)

and so on.

This isn't a 'not invented here' type of issue.  I'd love to exploit these,
and although I've looked strongly at numerous options, I just haven't found
any which I have felt comfortable in tying my company's future to.

 I've also looked at integrating the processors on these but that doesn't
make sense either - you have to buy thousands to get to the cost where it
makes sense - for instance, broadcom won't even talk to you unless you buy
10,000 units.

That's not to say there isn't going to be a shield or two in our future.

-forrest

On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 11:56 PM, Josh Reynolds <[email protected]> wrote:

>  Honest question.
>
> Here's the specs on the ODROID-C1:
> -----
> * Amlogic ARM® Cortex®-A5(ARMv7) 1.5Ghz quad core CPUs
> * Mali™-450 MP2 GPU (OpenGL ES 2.0/1.1 enabled for Linux and Android)
> * 1Gbyte DDR3 SDRAM
> * Gigabit Ethernet
> * 40pin GPIOs
> * eMMC4.5 HS200 Flash Storage slot AND UHS-1 SDR50 MicroSD Card slot
> * USB 2.0 Host x 4, USB OTG x 1,
> * Infrared(IR) Receiver
> * Ubuntu 14.04 or Android KitKat
> Price: $35.00
> -----
>
> Why aren't you just building a software stack for these that integrates
> with your other products?
>
> Josh Reynolds
> CIO, SPITwSPOTSwww.spitwspots.com
>
> On 05/18/2015 09:41 PM, Forrest Christian (List Account) wrote:
>
>   There's a lot of things along those lines:
>
>  The current sitemonitor base unit has 128KB of program memory, 3808
> *bytes* (not kb, not mb) of RAM, and an external 1MB flash storage used for
> configuration and web page storage.   I haven't consumed the entire 1MB
> flash, but that's largely because of the other two limits, although the new
> web interface might make a dent in this.
>
>  I'm now working with a newer processor, it has 2 banks of 1MB each of
> program memory (primary and secondary for firmware updates), and 512K of
> RAM.   The program memory can also be used for configuration and web page
> storage.
>
>  A lot of the stuff we wanted to do (traps, etc,) just didn't fit in the
> older processor.   The newer one obviously has a lot more room for growth -
> but when you start talking about things like SNMP traps, native IPv6 stack,
> https://, etc, that just need to be done, you can gobble a lot of that
> memory without thinking.   Then you start saying things like "system logs",
> "historical graphs", "firmware files", etc., and all of a sudden that 1MB
> isn't enough.   So, you need some additional storage.  With a SD card, 4GB
> is enough that in this application you could think 'essentially
> limitless'.  Which is how I got to this question.
>
>  Just to be clear, I have a different product (than a base 3) which we're
> close to releasing.  In fact, we had hoped to get it out the door by the
> end of June, but I think this will slip a bit.   I figured I'd rather put
> this new processor in something a bit less risky and a bit lower volume
> than the base 3 until we had some experience with it.  If it works well, it
> will form the basis for the next iteration of network-connected PacketFlux
> products.  If not, we might be looking for something different, although it
> will be hard to find something with the power consumption limits I've
> placed on it.
>
>  -forrest
>
> On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 10:36 PM, George Skorup <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Yeah, that could be useful. But why not just store stuff like this in
>> RAM? Perfect example is the throughput monitoring statistics on Canopy. It
>> obviously doesn't persist across reboots. I know you probably don't have a
>> lot of RAM to work with though.
>>
>> Let me give you another example pertaining to the SiteMonitor in
>> particular. If I could have a log of the sync pulse status on a
>> SyncInjector for the last 15 minutes (or 30 minutes, or an hour).. on a 1
>> or 2 second interval, I could prove to Cambium that their code is broken on
>> the 3.6 450 and it is NOT the SyncInjector. I already know it's not the
>> SyncInjectors, and it's not the SyncPipes either. But I wouldn't need this
>> stored permanently. In RAM is good enough. I just can't/don't want to do
>> SNMP polling of the SiteMonitor every second or two, or five. And 10
>> seconds is too long, 5 minutes is definitely too long.
>>
>> But for something such as this, you could send an SNMP trap (I know, I
>> know) when the 1PPS active value goes to zero, almost instantly. Just
>> sayin.
>>
>>
>> On 5/18/2015 10:52 PM, Forrest Christian (List Account) wrote:
>>
>>> More applicable to the current design, there's been some requests for
>>> on-device logging of enough data so that certain values would have
>>> historical graphs
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
> --
>     *Forrest Christian* *CEO**, PacketFlux Technologies, Inc.*
> Tel: 406-449-3345 | Address: 3577 Countryside Road, Helena, MT 59602
> [email protected] | http://www.packetflux.com
>  <http://www.linkedin.com/in/fwchristian>
> <http://facebook.com/packetflux>  <http://twitter.com/@packetflux>
>
>
>


-- 
*Forrest Christian* *CEO**, PacketFlux Technologies, Inc.*
Tel: 406-449-3345 | Address: 3577 Countryside Road, Helena, MT 59602
[email protected] | http://www.packetflux.com
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/fwchristian>  <http://facebook.com/packetflux>
<http://twitter.com/@packetflux>

Reply via email to