I see a whole lot of options out there with scripts using mail, etc. Waht
works well, whats cumbersome, simplified is good, alerting on backups not
taking place is better.

As best i can tell, if you do backup to a backup file, that can only be
restored to the same device, or am I misunderstanding that?

I thought the dude could pull backups, but Im not seeing it anywhere in
documentation

I dont mind a combination of text config for reference and full backup file.

In all likely hood a disaster restore would go to the same model, I just
dont want the backup file restoring the original device MAC addresses

We have a linux backup server that pulls backups from fortigates and
imagestreams, but its a cumbersome process that I dont really monitor
anymore