In my opinion 3/1 at good quality with low jitter, low latency and 0.0
packet loss is vastly preferable to 15/5 that is flaky...

Now if his 3/1 is a poor quality DSL connection then that is rather bad.

You can move a great deal of data downstream on 3 Mbps over a month if you
have an addiction to torrented 1080p movies. Just let the torrent client
run with a schedule from 1am to 7am.

I do feel sorry for the people whose only option is $105/mo hughesnet vsat
(or viasat/wildblue) with a 10GB monthly quota.