10-40Gbps on NG-PON2 is going to be the real deal, and betting against
it vs active ethernet at scale for residential service is just...
dumb, to be honest (IMO).

The size of your backbone ends up being monstrous with active, as well
as having to keep the cabinets powered, UPS+batteries, enclosurers
maintained, etc. PON is simply so much cheaper are scale, and in
residential every dollar counts.