On Sun, May 19, 2024 at 11:32 PM Rob Freeman <chaotic.langu...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> James,
>
> My working definition of "truth" is a pattern that predicts. And I'm
> tending away from compression for that.

2, 4, 6, 8

does it mean
2n?

or does it mean
10?

Related to your sense of "meaning" in (Algorithmic Information)
> randomness. But perhaps not quite the same thing.

or does it mean a probability distribution of formulae that all produce 2,
4, 6, 8 whatever they may subsequently produce?

or does it mean a probability distribution of sequences
10, 12?
10, 12, 14?
10, 13, 14?

> I want to emphasise a sense in which "meaning" is an expansion of the
> world, not a compression. By expansion I mean more than one,
> contradictory, predictive pattern from a single set of data.

I hope you can see from the above questions that we are talking about
probability distributions.  What is the difference between the probability
distribution of algorithms (aka formulae) and the probability distribution
of the strings they generate?