On Sunday, June 16, 2024, at 7:09 PM, Matt Mahoney wrote:
> Not everything can be symbolized in words. I can't describe what a person
> looks as well as showing you a picture. I can't describe what a novel
> chemical smells like except to let you smell it. I can't tell you how to ride
> a bicycle without you practicing.

That’s the point. You emit symbols that reference the qualia that you
experienced of what the person looks like. The symbols or words are a
compressed impressed representation of the original full symbol that you
experienced in your mind. Your original qualia is your unique experience and
another person receives your transmission or description to reference their own
qualia which are also unique. It’s a hit or miss since you can’t transmit the
full qualia but you can transmit more words to paint a more accurate picture
and increase accuracy. There isn’t enough bandwidth, sampling capacity and
instantaneousness but you have to reference something for the purposes of
transmitting information spatiotemporally. A “thing” is a reference which it
seems can only be a symbol, ever, unless the thing is the symbol itself and
that would be the original unique qualia. Maybe there are exceptions? like
numbers but they are still references to qualia going back in history... or
computations? They are still derivatives. And no transmission is 100% reliable
as there is always some small chance of error AFAIK. If I'm wrong I would like
to know.