Jonathan Standley wrote:
> it's the first link under the update notice at the top.  It's a work in
> progress, more or less just showing some features of the model, and a
> proposed mechanism by which people form preferences (the bug chasing
> link on the extropians list got me thinking about fetishes...)

I thought the same thing myself, I published those ideas to a number of
mailing lists including my own,

groups.yahoo.com/group/thresearch/

(message number 72)

If I say too much more the rabbi will take what I've written, implement
it himself, and screw up the universe with Yahweh 2.0. I don't want
that.

Instead I will, here, present a slightly obfuscated version that,
hopefully, won't give him the Big Insight(tm)

The weakness of your model (and the one in that message I referred to
above is that the linkages between ideas is static. It only works when
the stimulus exactly matches the learned impression on the sensory
organ.

There needs to be a way to make the pattern independant of the sensor...
A first approximation of this is to make the input an abstract relation
matrix which the system scans for recognised patterns.

This approach is also far too weak. For example, It would not be able to
figure out what this letter is:

    &     $

#            @

*       K      n

    %    Q

Which is, ofcourse, the letter G.

What we need is a system which detects patterns which, when detected,
act as abstractions.

We then turn to the cerebral cortex for a clue. We find that it is
organized as a celular automaton such that when a stimulus is presented,
it forms a pattern of activated cortical columns. This pattern then
propogates _AS A SIGNAL_ which may or may not trigger adjacent cortical
columns. If it activates a cortical column, a new signal is entered into
the matrix yielding a higher-level understanding.

An artifact of this generality of cortical columns is the fact that, in
listening, helps to close your eyes. When you close your eyes, or shift
attention, your thalamus gates certain inputs to off which has the
effect of quieting a channel into your association areas. This has the
effect of reducing interferance and improving your ability to detect
signals (and derive abstractions from them).

om

Now the race is on between the rabbi and we the humanists to implement
this first.

=(((((((

--
I WANT A DEC ALPHA!!! =)