"YKY (Yan King Yin)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: On 5/7/07, James Ratcliff
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> One goal or project I was considering (for profit) is a research tool,
> basically a KB that scans in teh newspapers and articles and extracts
> pertinent information for others to query against and use.
>   This would help build up a large world knowledge base, and would also be
> salable to research companies and such.
>   One example of that is the tragedy shooting at VT this past month, I ran
> some scritps against the news article and came up with a lot of hidden
> information in there about the Chu guys family and some other conenctions
> that I wasnt seeing in many of the news articles, that let me go down some
> other paths to find info.
>
> Another goal or application was a 3D avatar bot like Novamente is now
> pursuing.  This could be used most easily to simulate an autonomous AGI agent
> that could act in a 3d rich world.

 I think web page classification is a good first goal for AGI.  Though there
may be competition from other newer search engines such as PowerSet.

 For the 3D avatar, it seems very difficult to commercialize (but I may be
ignorant of areas like gaming or Second Life).

Web Page Classification is more of a narrow AI focus and can be accomplished
well using statistical language techniques known, and can be improved upon, but
doenst really need an AGI level

A 3D agent would be hard to commercilize, though Second Life would have
possibilities, and something like working with the World of Warcraft gamers..
though the business hurdles there would be frustrating.
The 3D agent would give a much wider range of playing with true AGi though.

James Ratcliff