Hi John,

   Could you tell us more about WKG - Web Knowledge Gatherer?

----- Original Message ----- From: "John G. Rose" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <agi@v2.listbox.com>
Sent: Monday, May 07, 2007 2:02 PM
Subject: **SPAM** RE: Time Enough For Work [WAS Re: [agi] What would motivate you to put work into an AGI project?]

I've found that if I can do 16 to 24 hours on, and then sleep, and then
another 16 to 24 hours on as long as the body can keep up I can reach really
high thresholds of productivity with ephemeral visions of deep,
comprehensive insight. In the past I've done self-directed data compression R&D, written video games, telephony switching software in this way on up to
2 year stints.  8 hours is just warming up.  And the concept of the "Long
Day Society" I've kicked about for years where the day I think is too short at 24 hours. Stretching the wake sleep cycle could help us live longer....

But the software I'm working on (WKG - Web Knowledge Gatherer) is pre-AGI
and at some point will need to "grow a brain" :) so reading all these
discussions and interactions especially among the more astute and learned
individuals on this email list is very informative gives perspective on some of the R&D that is going on. And any posts and references on good learning
material and books are helpful.  I've just started reading "The Symbolic
Species" by Terrence W. Deacon which has sat on my shelf for years :) and is a little outdated I suppose but has some good information and provides some examples examining the human brain but ... brain and computer software soooo
different and the brain is such a conglomerated mish-mash of evolutionary
cognitive appendages!  It's almost like OK need to start from scratch when
building AGI like when software becomes fragile, rigid, brittle, and rots
(as Agile design tries to avoid).  If the brain could be decompiled, which
I'm sure we are getting closer, how much of it would really be useful for
AGI? Would the source code be too messy and spaghetti like? Are there any algorithms and data structures that haven't been discovered in mathematics?
And modeling AGI after brain... maybe loosely.  Do we model machines after
human body design, some yes but others not, say an army tank is in some ways like a human body but it more accommodates humans (and disaccommodates) than
is modeled after.

The decompiled brain source code would have some really amazing undiscovered
stuff in there.  Maybe it couldn't be represented with conventional
programming languages.  I wonder... parts of it would be immensely
sophisticated yes that's a de facto assumption :).  And it could be
decompiled at many levels.  I suppose a functional level, macroscopic
decompiler could be made now there are probably many in existence...

John