On Saturday 05 May 2007 23:29, Matt Mahoney wrote:
> About programming languages.  I do most of my programming in C++ with a
> little bit of assembler.  AGI needs some heavy duty number crunching.  You
> really need assembler to do most any kind of vector processing, especially
> if you use a coprocessor like a graphics card or PS3 type hardware.  You
> can get hundreds of GFlops for a few hundred dollars now, so why not use
> it?

Look at Brook (http://graphics.stanford.edu/projects/brookgpu/) ... and GPGPU
in general (http://www.gpgpu.org/cgi-bin/blosxom.cgi).

If you want to use the built-in SIMD instructions in the X8x architecture,
there are versions of BLAS that support them: both AMD and Intel have native
versions for download, and there is ATLAS
(http://math-atlas.sourceforge.net/), FFTW (http://www.fftw.org/), and many
similar packages of functions -- there is also libSIMDx86
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/simdx86/) for general purpose vector and
matrix processing.

Josh