On 10/11/2007, Jef Allbright <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> At the DARPA Urban Challenge last weekend, the optimism and flush of
> rapid growth was palpable, but as I was driving home I approached a
> truck off the side of the road, its driver   pulling hard on a bar,
> tightening the straps securing the load.  Without conscious thought I
> moved over in my lane to allow for the possibility that he might slip.
>  That chain of inference, and its requisite knowledge base, leading to
> a "simple" human behavior, are not even on the radar horizon of
> current AI technology.

I was saying to someone recently that it's hard to watch something
like the recent Urban Challenge and argue convincingly that AI is not
making progress or that it's been a failure.  Admittedly the
intelligence here is not smart enough to carry out the sort of
reasoning you describe, such as "I see a large object and predict that
it may be about to fall so I better move out of the way".  However,
the path to this sort of ability just involves more accurate 3D
modelling of the environment together with intelligent segmentation
and some naive physics applied.  It's the perception accuracy/modeling
which is key to being able to implement these skills, which a mouse
may or may not be capable of (I don't know enough about the cognitive
skills of mice to be able to say).