Robin,

To add onto Edward Porter's excellent summary, I would note the
considerable power that virtual worlds technology has to accelerate
advancement towards AGI, as I argued in a recent article on
KurzweilAI.net (and another recent article to appear in AI Journal
shortly)

      AI Meets the Metaverse: Teachable AI Agents Living in Virtual Worlds
http://www.kurzweilai.net/meme/frame.html?main=memelist.html?m=3%23710

I also gave a video talk at Transvision 2006 (actually, I was sitting in my
son's
bedroom talking to a camera) w. the title "Ten Years to the Singularity-- If
We
Really, Really Try" ... see

http://www.acceleratingfuture.com/michael/blog/?p=202

If the current level of effort is continued it sure ain't gonna happen in 10
years, but I
still maintain that this order of magnitude is likely possible with adequate
devotion of effort,
as Ed Porter has also argued.

-- Ben G