Ok, well I read part 2 three times and I seem not to be getting the
importance or the crux of it.

I hate to ask this, but could you possibly summarize it in some
different way, in the hopes of getting through to me??

I agree that the standard scientific approach to explanation breaks
when presented with consciousness.

I do not (yet) understand your proposed alternative approach to explanation.

If anyone on this list *does* understand it, feel free to chip in with
your own attempted summary...

thx
ben

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 5:47 PM, Richard Loosemore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Ben Goertzel wrote:
>>
>> Richard,
>>
>> So are you saying that: "According to the ordinary scientific standards of
>> 'explanation', the subjective experience of consciousness cannot be
>> explained ... and as a consequence, the relationship between subjective
>> consciousness and physical data (as required to be elucidated by any
>> solution to Chalmers' "hard problem" as normally conceived) also cannot be
>> explained."
>>
>> If so, then: according to the ordinary scientific standards of
>> explanation, you are not explaining consciousness, nor explaining the
>> relation btw consciousness and the physical ... but are rather **explaining
>> why, due to the particular nature of consciousness and its relationship to
>> the ordinary scientific standards of explanation, this kind of explanation
>> is not possible**
>>
>> ??
>
> No!
>
> If you write the above, then you are summarizing the question that I pose at
> the half-way point of the paper, just before the second part gets underway.
>
> The "ordinary scientific standards of explanation" are undermined by
> questions about consciousness.  They break.  You cannot use them.  They
> become internally inconsistent.  You cannot say "I hereby apply the standard
> mechanism of 'explanation' to Problem X", but then admit that Problem X IS
> the very mechanism that is responsible for determining the  'explanation'
> method you are using, AND the one thing you know about that mechanism is
> that you can see a gaping hole in the mechanism!
>
> You have to find a way to mend that broken standard of explanation.
>
> I do that in part 2.
>
> So far we have not discussed the whole paper, only part 1.
>

> Richard Loosemore

Ben Goertzel, PhD
CEO, Novamente LLC and Biomind LLC
Director of Research, SIAI
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."  -- Robert
Heinlein