> From: Matt Mahoney [mailto:matmaho...@yahoo.com]
>
> --- On Sat, 12/27/08, John G. Rose <johnr...@polyplexic.com> wrote:
>
> > Well I think consciousness must be some sort of out of band
> intelligence
> > that bolsters an entity in terms of survival. Intelligence probably
> > stratifies or optimizes in zonal regions of similar environmental
> > complexity, consciousness being one or an overriding out-of-band
> one...
>
> No, consciousness only seems mysterious because human brains are
> programmed that way. For example, I should logically be able to
> convince you that "pain" is just a signal that reduces the probability
> of you repeating whatever actions immediately preceded it. I can't do
> that because emotionally you are convinced that "pain is real".
> Emotions can't be learned the way logical facts can, so emotions always
> win. If you could accept the logical consequences of your brain being
> just a computer, then you would not pass on your DNA. That's why you
> can't.
>
> BTW the best I can do is believe both that consciousness exists and
> consciousness does not exist. I realize these positions are
> inconsistent, and I leave it at that.

Consciousness must be a component of intelligence. For example - to pass on
DNA for humans, they need to be conscious, or have been up to this point.
Humans only live approx. 80 years. Intelligence is really a multi-agent
thing, IOW our individual intelligence has come about through the genetic
algorithm of humanity, we are really a distributed intelligence and
theoretically AGI will be born out of that. So maybe for improved genetic
algorithms used for obtaining max compression there needs to be a
consciousness component in the agents? Just an idea.... I think there is
potential for distributed consciousness inside of command line compressors
:)

John