On Wed, 2013-06-19 at 14:05 -0700, Kerim Aydin wrote:
> > rather what makes a particular
> > system stable enough to make it last that long. Does Agora simply create
> > new
> > things that interest it and repeal things that bore it, or is there
> > something
> > deeper there?
>
> It's a mystery for me.  I don't know what made the first Cards successful
> and the second one die.  Dunno why some economic system worked and some
> didn't.  Proposal manipulation to more chambers than 1 or 2 seems to always
> flounder.  Dunno why!

I've been meaning to write a big post about this for a while. I'm a bit
too tired/distracted with other things for a big post right now, but
here's a small one:

Basically, what I'm trying to do in Agora is to win. (Mostly, because
Agora's victory conditions are generally designed to make that a fun and
difficult thing to aim for; at times when it isn't, I don't find winning
particularly interesting. More generally, I also don't particularly care
about what in-game awards I might get for winning, although I will use
them to help me win again.)

More specifically, there are times when I'm actively trying to win, and
times when I'm just coasting (like at the moment), hardly paying
attention or responding to things. If I'm actively trying to win, it's
because a) I'm not busy with other things, and b) I've seen a means by
which victory might be reasonably possible, whether it's a scam, or
something purely economic like points accumulation, or something in
between (like my win by Clout).

So in order for an economy to interest me, it has to provide something I
need. Day-to-day benefits like the ability to submit proposals, or extra
votes, aren't something I care about enough to actually use them. (I
pretty much only submit a proposal if I think it'll genuinely help
Agora; sometimes I'll submit one as part of a scam, but almost
exclusively, I believe that the proposal will be genuinely helpful apart
from the fact that it contains a scam. There are only a very few
exceptions to this, such as Open It Up. As a result, I normally don't
care much whether proposals I submit ever get distributed.) The upshot
of this mostly is that I hardly use any currency that might exist, and
accumulate enough of it incidentally that I can pay for anything I'm
actually interested in paying for.

The exception is currencies that a) can be accumulated indefinitely,
with no taxation; b) can be cashed in for a win. I've got several wins
via currencies that work like that, and such currencies give me an
actual reason to play the economy. For other currencies, though, if b)
isn't true, those currencies normally don't help me win in ways I care
about, and if a) isn't true, then I have no incentive to start
accumulating them until I have a use for them in mind.

At the moment, our currencies are Yaks and VCs. Yaks have quarterly
taxation; as such, I'm not going to bother accumulating them unless I
think I'm likely to use them for something this quarter, or maybe next
quarter. And at the moment, I don't think I am. (Especially because
there's nothing much to spend them on right now.)

Meanwhile, VCs all reset whenever anyone's voting limit becomes high
enough. It /is/ possible to get a win via VCs (although we should
reintroduce a Clout rule so that it can be done via a method less
disruptive than knocking everyone else's voting limit down to 0 then
distributing a dictatorship/win proposal), but would require an
implausibly large number of VCs. If they could be accumulated
indefinitely, that would give me an incentive to try to get that many
VCs; notably, I don't think I'd win a race if it came down to a race, so
I wouldn't bother unless other players accomplishing a Clout win wasn't
mutually exclusive with me winning. (In fact, under the current ruleset,
sniping a Clout win, winning alongside the previous victor, is actually
easier than performing one, except in certain combinations involving
dictatorships and a bribed Assessor.) There's also DVLOP wins, but
that's a pure race, and again one that I don't think I can win.
(Remember, again, that I don't particularly care about the side effects;
having a higher voting limit doesn't really appeal to me, and in fact I
rarely vote. It's perhaps for the best that I'm inactive, to avoid
inflating quorum.)

I'm not sure how typical or atypical I am of Agoran players, but it
seems reasonable that there are other people with similar mindsets to
me. I know that economies with no reset buttons and lifetime
accumulation are often considered unfair, but if an economy isn't of
that form, players like me are unlikely to participate.

(As a nice example: the AAA had lifetime accumulation, no reset upon one
player winning via the AAA (via conversion to points; the points were
rest, but not the AAA assets), and no taxation, so it was pretty much
the perfect example of things that people like me were likely to play.
The result was, perhaps unsurprisingly, that the AAA ended up dominating
the Agoran economy, to the extent that pretty much the entire active
playerbase ended up feeling pressured into playing it in order to have a
chance at competing in the Agoran economy at large. Notes had similar
properties, and also had several players actively participating in
them.)

--
ais523