On Mon, 24 Jun 2013, Charles Walker wrote:
> On 19 June 2013 22:05, Kerim Aydin <ke...@u.washington.edu> wrote:
> > 3.  Massive Economic System (1999-2002);
>
> What was this like? In particular, what made it so massive compared to
> more recent economies that I've seen?

Heh, I think I'll defer this one to Steve...

Okay, enough deference.  Short answer: stable unified system for 3+
years with multiyear investments on 4 interlinked currencies (with much
active speculation), money supply and tax issues permeated elections
(prices depended on balance of 4 officers' decisions), pretty much
everyone played (couldn't be involved without it), spawned some very large
scale deals (at least one where everyone was involved in a massive trade/
bidding coalition battle to corner a currency), spawned both secondary
trading markets and tertiary investments (bonds on debts) and even
(arguably) quartenary ones (obligations to create bonds or debts).

Key to the last points were that they evolved more or less "naturally"
(i.e. different people over time because it was sensible) not just for
the sake of it ("hey, I'm going to make a debt for a debt for a debt just
because I can").

Of course, I could probably summarize any 3 years of Agora like this
and it would sound exciting in a compressed form... I dunno.  Michael,
Chuck, Steve am I just wearing rose-colored glasses here...

-Goethe