Hallo,
Bill Unruh hat gesagt: // Bill Unruh wrote:

> There definitely seems to be a problem with the alsa oss emulation in the
> mixer category, and I have no idea what it could be.
> On my card, the recording slider is frozen in aumix or kmix (but works
> in alsamixer) and does nothing. It (aumix or kmix) recognizes that the controls
> should
> be there but cannot affect them.
> Because oss is so dominant in the applications territory, breaking the
> oss emulation support is serious.

But it's only the OSS mixer, that is "broken" here, which I don't see
as such a problem. For example, I live without a functional OSS mixer
here for over 1.5 years, because OSS mixer doesn't map to the M-Audio
Audiophile's internal mixer. And a lot of cards don't even have a
mixer. I'd say: Use alsamixer or gamix to set volumes once, then
forget about it. The philosophy of xmms of requiring a hardware mixer
to change volume is wrong from the start. Alsaplayer does the Right
Thing (tm): amplifying its output before it reaches the soundcard.

Even the old OSS documentation discourages relying on the mixer in
sound applications (besides of course mixer software), because (from
OSS Programming Guide):

  There are many common assumptions which make programs non-portable or
  highly hardware dependent. The following is a list of things that are
  commonly misunderstood.

  Mixer

  Not all sound cards have a mixer. This is true with some older sound
  cards, some sound cards that are not yet fully supported by the OSS
  driver, and some high end professional ("digital only") devices which
  are usually connected to an external mixer. Your program will not work
  with these cards if it requires the availability of a mixer.

I don't see a place for OSS mixers anymore, I've uninstalled them all.

ciao