I started a thread a few months ago looking for a linux equivalent of Windows
"virtual audio cable." Basically this is the same question.

I ended up needing something different, but I believe using jack was the
suggested solution.

What I needed was a way to take a program that pipes a sound file and make it
look like a device so that another program could open that "device" and process
the audio. IIRC, I did it with a "virtual device." (Terminology could be wrong,
but the basic idea is the gist here.) I don't have that machine booted to look
it up.

What the original poster is trying to do is common for gamers and streaming
video er um archiving. ;-)  I saw it discussed on gaming forums when I did my
search on VAC.

Google found this:
http://www.vsound.org/
But I can't say if it works.

Jack and Pulse isn't alsa's problem. But perhaps a guru (as opposed to me!)
could write up the virtual device scheme, which is nearly in alsa's camp. I
believe a virtual device can be used to solve this post, though it is not a
unique solution.

Youtube is full of these recorded games, sometimes hilarious content if you
like slapstick. ;-)