On Fri, Dec 03, 2010 at 04:04:16PM -0500, upengan78 wrote:

> Now I am thinking about, removing runtapes option completely, and add
> splitdisk_buffer option to the holding disk, I am confused about one thing,
> why you mentioned that "looks like your splits are about 0.5GB. " I have
> actually set tape_splitsize = 1Gb although I do have fallback_splitsize =
> 512MB . Do you mean I should grow this value to a higher value or you said
> that about tape_splitsize value?

At the time I wrote that I saw you had backed up and taped
16GB of data and they were taped in 33 parts.  16GB / 33
is about 0.5GB/part.

Your amdump run used the fallback_splitsize because you
had not specified a split_diskbuffer.  If one had been
specified, data would move from holding disk to the
split_diskbuffer creating "parts" of "tape_splitsize".
If a part "failed", such as at the end of a tape, then
the part would be retried on the next tape (if available).

Without a "split_diskbuffer" the parts have to be created
in memory.  In this situation the parts are sized to the
"fallback_splitsize" rather than "tape_splitsize".  Typically
this is smaller than tape_splitsize to avoid using too much
memory.  As you had no split_diskbuffer, the fallback_splitsize
(0.5GB) was used as the part size.

--
Jon H. LaBadie                  j...@jgcomp.com
 JG Computing