> What do I check next?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett

Since Olivier wrote that he only used xinetd once,  I figured I’d best chime in.
I use it all the time (not that I know very much about it).   Here are parts of
my CHECKLIST
for a new node:

yum install openssh-server
yum install xinetd
yum install  dump    (xfsdump is problematic)
yum install mtx
yum install mt-st

yum remove xfsdump

Add a file with the name .amandahosts to the <backup-user> home directory with
these contents:

backup-server.full.name  <backup-user>   amdump  amindexd

chmod 600 /home/<backup-user>/.*amandahosts      #it insists on this

My   xinetd start file matches yours, as quoted in a recent email.
service amanda
{
        socket_type             = stream
        protocol                = tcp
        wait                    = no
        user                    = <backup-user>
        group                   = root    #whatever you are using
        server                  = /usr/local/libexec/amanda/amandad
#wherever your file actually IS
        server_args             = -auth=bsdtcp amdump amindexd amidxtaped
        disable                 = no
        groups                  = yes
}

/sbin/service xinetd restart         # restart xinetd

If they don't already exist, add these  in /etc/services
amanda 10080/udp # Dump server control
amidxtape 10083/tcp # Amanda tape indexing
amandaidx 10082/tcp # Amanda recovery program

ON SERVER:   new node:
  add to   disklist file
  add to /etc/sysconfig/iptables  and restart with
             /sbin/service iptables restart         # if you have iptables
running
  add to  .amandahosts

Test a simple backup (without using up a tape).  On SERVER:
amdump   <config>   --no-taper  <newclientnode>  /    # or any DLE that’s small

Any of this help?
Deb Baddorf
Fermilab