On Jul 18, 2014, at 1:53 PM, Joi L. Ellis <jlel...@pavlovmedia.com> wrote:

> I think you have a more basic network connectivity issue.  If it were a
> simple .amandahosts issue, you'd get an error message to that affect, not
> 'connection reset by peer', which is a network thing.
>
> Don't forget to check the logs on the server and the client, see
> /var/log/Amanda/*, find the newest files in there and see what they say.
>
> The first thing to do is verify that the server can backup itself as a
> client.  If your server-side is not working, this will get that straightened
> out.  Then check that the server and the client can resolve each other's
> hostnames, and that they can ping each other (firewalls allowing.)  If you
> can, put the client on the same network as the server and disable all
> iptables/ufw firewalls, and verify it works that way.  Then move the client
> back to its own network and test again.  If it breaks on the other network,
> it has to be a firewall or network issue blocking you.
>
> In my own project here to install Amanda services everywhere, I've discovered
> hosts running undocumented iptables, undocumented firewalls, and all sorts of
> DNS breakages that I've had to clean up as I went.
>
> For what it's worth, I had to drop back to using plain old auth=bsd for
> Amanda, not bsdtcp, as some of the clients are so ancient the Amanda-client
> packages they have don't grok bsdtcp yet, so I'm using the lcd to get
> everyone running on a consistent setup.  Once the ancients are retired I can
> upgrade all of them to something modern, but until then...
>

> --
> Joi Owen
> System Administrator
> Pavlov Media, Inc

I’ve got clients in several flavors.  My server has all of the types of xinetd
running,  and can listen to whatever the client is sending.
Of course,  I have to configure the amanda.conf  and disklist  to request of
backup of the right type for each client.   Each client
can only do one kind  (in my experience).

for example  (only if you are interested any further)
AMANDA.CONF:
define dumptype dailyNormal {
    BDglobal
     # includes auth "bsd"
}

define dumptype dailyNormalBSDTCP  {
    BDglobal
    auth “bsdtcp”    #overrides the “bsd"
}

define dumptype dailyNormalKRB5  {
    BDglobal
    auth “krb5"       #overrides the “bsd”
}

DISKLIST:

<client1>    /            dailyNormal
<client2>     /           dailyNormalBSDTCP
<client3>    /            dailyNormalKRB5

/ETC/XINETD.D   :    I’m sure the filenames don’t matter, but these help me:

amanda-dgram    file:
##    note the   auth=bsd    on the server_args line

service amanda
{
        socket_type             = dgram
        protocol                = udp
        wait                    = yes
        user                    = operator
        group                   = root
        server                  = /usr/local/libexec/amanda/amandad
        server_args             = -auth=bsd amdump amindexd amidxtaped
        disable                 = no
        groups                  = yes
}

amanda-krb5           file:
##    note the   auth=krb5    on the server_args line

service k5amanda
{
        socket_type             = stream
        protocol                = tcp
        wait                    = no
        user                    = root
        group                   = root
        server                  = /usr/local/libexec/amanda/amandad
        server_args             = -auth=krb5 amdump amindexd amidxtaped
        disable                 = no
        groups                  = yes
}

amanda-stream   file:
##    note the   auth=bsdtcp    on the server_args line

service amanda
{
        socket_type             = stream
        protocol                = tcp
        wait                    = no
        user                    = operator
        group                   = root
        server                  = /usr/local/libexec/amanda/amandad
        server_args             = -auth=bsdtcp amdump amindexd amidxtaped
        disable                 = no
        groups                  = yes
}