I think you have a more basic network connectivity issue.  If it were a simple
.amandahosts issue, you'd get an error message to that affect, not 'connection
reset by peer', which is a network thing.

Don't forget to check the logs on the server and the client, see
/var/log/Amanda/*, find the newest files in there and see what they say.

The first thing to do is verify that the server can backup itself as a client.
If your server-side is not working, this will get that straightened out.  Then
check that the server and the client can resolve each other's hostnames, and
that they can ping each other (firewalls allowing.)  If you can, put the client
on the same network as the server and disable all iptables/ufw firewalls, and
verify it works that way.  Then move the client back to its own network and
test again.  If it breaks on the other network, it has to be a firewall or
network issue blocking you.

In my own project here to install Amanda services everywhere, I've discovered
hosts running undocumented iptables, undocumented firewalls, and all sorts of
DNS breakages that I've had to clean up as I went.

For what it's worth, I had to drop back to using plain old auth=bsd for Amanda,
not bsdtcp, as some of the clients are so ancient the Amanda-client packages
they have don't grok bsdtcp yet, so I'm using the lcd to get everyone running
on a consistent setup.  Once the ancients are retired I can upgrade all of them
to something modern, but until then...

--
Joi Owen
System Administrator