On Wednesday 21 November 2018 15:09:50 Chris Miller wrote:

> Hi Folks,

That is not how amanda works. And its unique among backup tools, having
orginally been written when a 200 meg qic drive was a luxury.

After it has done an initial level 0 backup it will make an estimate for
each succeeding backup, advanceing level 0's in order to more evenly
fill the tapes, "making room in the future" to backup the big ones
before that 7 days of age occurs.  That is so you could both fill the
tape more efficiently, and guarantee amanda will also do the level 0's a
bit more frequently than dumpcycle.  Look at that as a guarantee of the
maximum time between level 0's. Each time amanda does a level 0, the
dumpcycle timer for that DLE is reset.

> Thanks for the help,

NP.

Copyright 2018 by Maurice E. Heskett