On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 11:12:38AM -0800, MobileVisuals wrote:
> I agree, this is really bad. You wrote "If your app is one of the
> *TOP*downloaded apps when you put it online, it will go in Top [Free/
> Paid] New."
> But a new app can't be one of the top downloaded apps when it gets
> online. It always has 0 downloads first.

Yep.

> So the only possibility to get good downlods for new apps is to launch
> massive advertising campaigns for them, am I right?

Depending on the app, there may be other possibilities.  For exmaple, for
my photo/camera app, when it's ready, I'm going to try to get it reviewed
by various sources, in the hopes that someone will read the reviews.
There is at least one forum (in the Android Forums) for new app
announcements, but I don't know how helpful it really is....  There may
be more such forums...and with that in mind....

If anyone knows of any other (than the Android Forums) sites for new app
announcements, please list them as a followup to this post.  Thanks!

Aside from that, though, you're right...if you don't have the advertising
budget, can't get it reviewed (I have *NO* idea what it takes to get that
done), and the new app announcement forums don't get you anywhere, your
apps will go unnoticed (like my more recent ones have) and, if it's a
paid app that you've spent a lot of time on, well, you probably wasted
that time.  Yeah, it sucks...massively.  And from what I've heard, that
was the intention behind google's doing that---to limit the Market to the
major devs (no indies) with massive budgets.

Later,
   --jim

--
THE SCORE:  ME:  2  CANCER:  0
73 DE N5IAL (/4)        MiSTie #49997  < Running FreeBSD 7.0 >

   "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!"
               --Mal (Firefly, 1x03, Our Mrs. Reynolds)

Android Apps Listing at http://www.jstrack.org/barcodes.html