We've found from our statistics that 97.5% of users don't opt out even when
it is free to do so. Those that hate ads are vocal about their dislike so
they are the ones who give one star negative reviews. If nothing else,
getting them to remain quiet has a lot of value, more so than the paltry
amounts that will be collected by forcing them to pay to get rid of ads.

Personally, I think it's better to have a compelling feature that users
feel good about buying than essentially holding them hostage with ads they
hate to the point they'll pay to get rid of them. Those users aren't going
to be happy about the choice. Better to gain the good will of users and
muzzle the loud and angry minority. That's my opinion anyway.

As for the higher CTR yields higher CPC, I got that from a very good source
at Google IO a few years ago. I put it into practice and saw my CPC climb
over 30% by reducing the number of ads shown which resulted in an increase
in CTR. I have no proof that mobile works the same way but I can make the
leap that it does.

-John Coryat