On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 2:34 AM, Al Sutton <a...@funkyandroid.com> wrote:

> > The work isn't being done for Kogan, so there is no reason for them to
> > impact it.
> I think you missed my point; The only manufacturer who had announced a
> QVGA device (i.e. Kogan) has abandoned shipping it claiming that "One of
> the potential issues is the screen size and resolution", given this I
> doubt anyone else is going to start design and manufacture of a QVGA
> based device and so is it worth trying to support a resolution that
> isn't going to be used?

By saying that the work wasn't being done for Kogan, one could probably
assume that there are others interested in it. :)  The issue Kogan has with
screen size and resolution is that the platform -currently- doesn't support
the screen size and resolution they were using.

> > How would they know?  Nobody has run an application on a version of
> > the platform with actual QVGA support.  We intend that most existing
> > applications will work decently on QVGA, and that is very much a goal
> > of any such work we do on the platform.
> The emulator supports QVGA, so it's easy to see what an app would look
> like in QVGA mode.

No it isn't.  I think you are missing my point.  The platform currently DOES
NOT SUPPORT QVGA.  Running the emulator with a QVGA screen gives you a nice
demonstration of that.  The density work that is being done will address
this.

> I had to make modifications to the AndAppStore client to include smaller
> icons to make it work on a QVGA screen, and the comments on the thread
> at
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/browse_thread/thread/16f0dcece645c57/065ad77d39d8d336?lnk=gst&q=QVGA#065ad77d39d8d336
> (particularly joshvs'), I think QVGA is something that many developers
> may have already written off.

As I already said, a key part of the density work on the roadmap is to allow
existing applications to run on the new screen configurations.

The basic take-away here is: nobody should be making hardware to run Android
that is anything besides HVGA, because that is the only resolution currently
supported by the platform.  And no developers should be spending their time
trying to make their apps run on anything besides HVGA, because the support
for other screens is not yet there so the system won't behave correctly for
them on anything else.

--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer

provide private support.  All such questions should be posted on public
forums, where I and others can see and answer them.