Hi Tim

On 16/12/2015 15:58, Tim Bruijnzeels wrote:
Hi,

To expedite the creation of abuse contacts we've just deployed
an enhancement to the RIPE Database web interface.

Whenever you create a new organisation object or you edit an
existing one that does not have an abuse contact set, we will
display a warning and offer a simple abuse-c creation
workflow.

An "abuse-c:" attribute is only required in an ORGANISATION
object if it is referenced by a resource object. So the wording
in this revised web interface may be a bit confusing to users. It
would be better if you do a check on the specified ORGANISATION
object and only display this warning if this object should have
an "abuse-c:" reference.

From what I understood, warning is not an error and doesn't prevent
the creation of the ORGANISATION object.

If you submit the object in the web interface with an empty value for
the abuse-c, it will give you the following error: "Please provide an
Abuse-c or remove the attribute if you would like to do it later"

So you can explicitly remove the attribute if you want, but we try to
guide people into adding the abuse-c because it's a good idea to have
it in general (even if it's not strictly required),

Sorry but this is just wrong. The whole design of "abuse-c:" attribute was to use hierarchical inheritance in resource objects. You only put it where it is needed and it is inherited by any more specific objects. It should NOT be duplicated where it is not required. That leads to redundant information being stored in the database. This copy can be forgotten about when the authoritative version referenced from a less specific object is changed and leave invalid data in the database which will override the valid data for some resources.

and we often find
that organisation objects are created for sponsored PI or ASN
resources without this, and this adds unnecessary overhead to request
handling because then we will need to ask for this then.

If you know this is why you are creating this ORGANISATION object then it is reasonable to add an "abuse-c:" at this point. But the wording on your new web form should be clear and suggest adding an "abuse-c:" only IF it is needed.

Moreover, during object creation procedure it is unknown what for
the ORGANISATION object is created.

You should not be creating objects in the database if you don't know what their immediate use is for. If you do not currently handle any abuse complaints then you should not include an "abuse-c:" attribute in a newly created ORGANISATION object. This is confusing and redundant information and may override the valid contact data.

cheers
denis

Indeed, we don't know this at creation time.

Regards,

Tim

All the best, Piotr

-- gucio -> Piotr Strzyżewski E-mail: piotr.strzyzew...@polsl.pl