On Tuesday 05 September 2006 11:06, Titi Ala'ilima wrote:
> How long ago did this fork take place?  If AOL does indeed drop AOLserver
> and we rebrand it, are there any reasons other than the work involved to
> maintain a forked code/user base?

The current code is in very great shape. That means more than few bugs: it
means that the code is easy to read and is well organized and mature.

The main problem with any fork is you loose the talent of those who made the
product interesting to us in the first place. If AOL stops development, you
don't necessarily have to introduce the stigma of a 'fork' into the
discussion. It is more of a continuation. (Maybe call the continued project
Phoenix). It is easy to talk about the possibilities, but I would like to ask
again that any soon-to-be-released code from AOL be released asap.

I think the main issue with going forward with development outside of AOL
would be maintaining control over the core development. Probably the first
task would be to write a document of how everything works as a whole.