On 11/23/2008 8:58 PM India Time, _Chord_ wrote:

> What would ARR think if he heard you say this?

He would think that people are not understanding the purpose of these
songs, and - without seeing the visuals, without knowing the situations
and characters on which these songs are shot, people are going ahead
commenting on the songs after 24 hours listening when he took weeks or
months to visualize and compose each songs.

He must already be knowing that such situation would come, so he is
mentally prepared for such immature - rather premature comments, and he
has listened to such comments several times.

(Chord! I am commenting on the original poster's comments. I am sort of
supporting your line of thinking. Hope you got that.)

> Why would he intentionally create sub-quality work?

It is not a substandard work at all.

> Maybe ARR wanted to create light numbers on purpose.

Exactly, exactly, exactly.

See, guys! It took a devoted fan like Chord to spell that out.

Even if these songs appears "light" (read: cheap), they are kept cheap
on purpose - that was the demand of the story, the demand of situation,
they fitted on the characters.

Remember Nayak? There was a song "Rukhi Sookhi roti". We all were
cursing that song so much when it got released in music album. It was so
cheap, so senseless. And then the movie got released and the song fitted
100% perfectly in place and became likable. Anybody wishes to dispute that?

Remember Mangal Pandey. There was a song Rasiya. Though it sounded good,
still, with all those Aatma, Agni, Mangal Mangal, this song sounded so
out of phase in the album. A cheap streetly, love-sex song in an album
on Independence struggle of the country? What had gone wrong with ARR?
But, the film release, and the song fell perfectly in place and we
missed that it was not included fully in film.

 From non-ARR songs, recall a song from film Dushan, Rajesh
Khanna-Mumtaz starrer. There was a song Vaada Tera Vada. That had a line
"tumhaari zulf hai ya, sadak ka mod hai ye". What a stupid simile
metaphor. So uncommon, so tasteless. But, it falls in place when you
come to know that Rajesh Khanna was a truck driver in a film and the
most curves a driver encounters are road turns, that is what he is
saying. When a driver sees a hairlock, he remember some deadly road turn
that he cleverly drove through.

So guys, let's not prematurely say that a song is cheap or not. You are
saying the songs are cheap listening to it on first day. Just check
archive and I had announced a fortnight earlier just reading the title
of bachchu and latto that we are going to get first sadak-chhap songs
from ARR.

There is nothing wrong in it. Sadak-chaap is the demand of story, I
guess. that is why ARR composed it thusly, depending on the inputs of
the producer/ director. That is why entire film team accepted these
songs and shot them and included them in the film and in the music album.

Remember non-ARR song of film Kaamchor, Tumse Badh kar duniya mein na
dekha koi aur. Main male voice is legendary Kishore Kumar's, but there
was a prelogue in some other voice, that sounded like 40s voice of KL
Saigal, Punkaj Mullick, K S Day. You might not even heard these names
who were the emperors of voices 70 years ago. But, who would dare use
similar voice in 1970s, but it was used and the song was a hit and had
come out a lovely song. Being able to give a 40s music in 70s was not a
drawback but was an achievement.

If a situation wants a song worthy of VS/ SEL/ Himesh, than it is ARR's
duty to give such a song that VS/ SEL/ Himesh would compose. ARR is
working in a system. He is not going to tell the director to change the
script to suit the song that he has composed.

We end up behaving like tiny tots and spoilt brats when we impose our
views on a song on ARR, on producer, on director. Let's not pamper
ourselves by thinking that we are more intelligent than the entire music
creation and the entire film crew.

Have some politeness, please.

> Not each and every song he makes has to be
> a masterpiece, but I think that's the general expectation among many.

Let me tell you that I am personally not liking Ghajani much because I
find it has too many synthetic sounds than I am comfortable with. Still,
I am listening to it and liking it better than I would like a Himesh
song nowadays.

ARR is not creating all albums to suit my exact taste. This album he
created for others who like such sounds. I envy those people and I am
happy seeing them enjoy it. I have no right to badmouth a song or an
album because it doesn't meet my taste. The song and the album is good
for those who like this genre of songs. ARR has to give something for
different type of listeners in different albums.

I am also seeing that some of those people who are enjoying bachchu and
lattoo feeling on defensive for liking these songs, as if their taste is
cheaper or as if they are sons of some lesser god. Please, stand upright
for liking these songs. You have all the rights to decide what you like
and what you don't like and it doesn't make you less human. You are as
much a fan of ARR as a fan who liked Roza or Dil Se or Bombay songs.

--
Rawat