Frank,

My suggestions would be the following:

1) Buy the server, and the User license, but not the application.
Build to need with internal efforts.

If that is to expensive...

2) Contact BMC and get it in writing that buying Magic now could save
them money later when they are ready to "upgrade to ARS".(If such a
thing exists.) It might be a cheaper initial buy-in, but it will also
likely cost you more (over all) then just starting with the base ARS
server. I would also push to explore the "upgrade features" from Magic
to ITSM Service Desk. (If such a thing exists.)

3) Fix the open sourced solution with the money they would have spent
on ARS. I am sure there are consultants out there in the Open Sourced
universe that would love to help with such an effort. It might be as
simple as buying bigger hardware, or as "complex" as moving the
project from MYSQL to Oracle/MSSQL.

But that is my two cents.

--
Carey Matthew Black