I agree with you on the patches, Shawn.  It may be easier to use, but I
can't imagine telling a customer (or my manager) that I want to install a
patch, though I have no idea what effect that patch will have because I
don't know the contents.  Surely there's some ITIL practice being violated
here.

I don't think "hoping for the best" is part of a standard Release or Change
Management process.  Perhaps someone at BMC could shed some light on why
they are using such a process?

Rick