Well, it's really about to what level companies are willing to buy into
ITIL.  If they want full ITIL, customization of ITSM will reflect that by
being minimal.  If they want some hybrid of the old and the new,
customizations can be extensive, and therefore practically non-upgradeable.
Not saying that one path is eminently better, but that one must be chosen.
Either do ITIL fully, or don't.  If you don't want to, why spend the time
and money to implement something like ITSM?

Rick