From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of Pierson, Shawn
Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 8:22 AM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: BMC should have made upgrades easier - Customers loosing interests

With BMC having a much larger market share that's to be expected though isn't
it?  Also, the companies I've seen that go BMC -> SNOW generally follow a
pattern like this:

1) Company is on an old version of ARS with custom apps and an understaffed
development team.
2) Company decides to try the latest release of BMC's ITSM, don't train their
team or replace them with experienced ITSM administrators.
3) They get ITSM into production after a lot of pain and agony, with the ARS
developer being unable to adapt to working with ITSM, and the owners of the
ITSM processes not having an understanding of ITIL.
4) Service Now comes along with a canned sales script that exploits knowledge
of the preceding failure and promises to make everything better, and makes an
easy sale.

What happens next varies, because some people are happy with SNOW and stick
with it.  In the scenario above, it's dangerous for SNOW as well because most
likely they get rid of their Remedy resource who was probably the closest
person to understanding the concepts of IT Service Management, or they try to
put them on SNOW without proper training and guidance from an experienced SNOW
consultant and while it works for a while, they are unable to do as much with
it as the sales person promised.  As a result, they're just as likely to get
upset at Service Now because things aren't magically happening perfectly after
they spent all sorts of money and failed to deliver a second time.

What ITSM software vendors don't usually tell you is that software is tertiary.
 If you have good processes and competent, experienced, well trained people
first you could probably do ITSM with an Access database.  If you have bad
processes, or incompetent, untrained staff, you could spend millions on an ITSM
solution and it still won't work.  I've seen companies flail around going from
custom ARS applications to SNOW to ITSM and still look for something new to go
to because it's a lot easier to replace software than fix processes or educate
and properly place your staff.  Nowhere that I've worked, mind you, but it does
happen.  :-)

Thanks,

Shawn Pierson
Remedy Developer | Energy Transfer