> --- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "2fine4u" <sharon_b283@> wrote:
> >

> > I find it irresponsible and reprehensible, when lies are spread
> and
> > cause panic amongst individuals who don't check their facts
first,
> > before they speak, then rather than say, I was mis-informed,
give
> > you ten other reasons, why they think they are STILL right!  I
> posed
> > the question about where the 7 other shelters in Asbury Park
ARE,
> > because I KNEW they didn't exist!  A soup kitchen does not make
> > shelter.  I have a friend who serves the homeless at her church
on
> > the West-Side, ONCE a month and that's ALL they do.  For the 29
> > other days or 30, with months having 31 days, the homeless, have
> > flop, elsewhere!  The Mission will be on a MAIN thoroughfare,
just
> > as the Salvation Army, Sisters of Mercy and the Center, ARE!
The
> > Center was in Asbury Park, prior to 1996, for all you newbies,
out
> > there and if it wasn't, it SHOULD have been!
>
> Sharon, I don't know how many times one has to admit there are no
> per se homeless shelters in AP before it sinks in. If you think
> there is a case for fraud then I suggest you bring charges. If you
> think there are not many places that serve the homeless in AP then
> you are kidding yourself. I am not going to continue to defend the
> flier.The truth of the matter is AP has MANY social services, more
> than its fair share, which includes homeless services. I spend my
> time walking my dog in Library Square picking up their and others
> refuse. I'll chalk up the food and wrappers to squirrels, rats or
> other four legged creatures. The wine, beer and liquor bottles are
> from the two-legged variety.You throw that word NEWBIE around
quite
> often in your posts and I find it offensive. There's no seniority
> around here, get used to it.

Well, tell that to the poster, Mr. Vail, who started this LIE about
our City!  When I say Our City, I am referring to those residents,
who have been here through the long haul of Asbury Park, getting
back on its' feet.  I realize also, that Asbury Park, WAS the
dumping ground for all of the "refuse" nobody in Neptune, Bradley
Beach, Avon, Interlaken, Deal, want to "look" at!  Hey, ask the City
Council, the people you pay your PROPERTY TAXES, to, WHY there is so
much trash and refuse on the streets!  They have municipal workers,
so whose job is it to clear the debris?  Also, why can't residents,
just PICK IT UP, if you or they, are so "quality of life",
conscious.  There's NO refuse in front of my domicile and if there
happens to be some, it's picked up! Daily!  I thought that a
homeowner/renter, was responsible for the appearance of their
surroundings.  Everywhere, I've lived, there never was a scrap of
paper or any of the things you describe.  Why?  I policed my own
property.  If anyone has any pride about oneself, that's what they
do!  It's what makes a neighborhood/street/area, desirable.  A swept
and clean street, tells you something about the residents, there.
That's what I thought, anyway.  Back to Vail, he described Asbury
Park as a festering, cess-pool, filled with innuendo about the 7
shelters, the failure of the Zoning Board, who incidentally voted
AGAINST the Mission, only to have a Judge, overturn THEIR decision!
So tell it to the Judge, already!  The same thing happened when I
was a member of the Board of Adjustment.  At one session, the
Assemblyman, The Catholic Church and those FOR thier issue, turned
up and I knew something was up, seeing all of those heavies, in
attendance.  We were threatened with the SAME thing, taking their
issue to court and having our negative decision overturned.  We too,
caved in and gave the group, what they wanted.  Really didn't have
much choice, as judges, use Asbury Park, as their "whipping boy",
when places like Holmdel, wouldn't have it in their district!  Money
talks!  Can't say what the issue was, because I don't want to churn
that up again!  When I sat on the board, I learned that Asbury Park
has more 501c3's than ANY area around here!  Non-Profits, do NOT
bring in tax revenue and this was at a time when Asbury Park was DE-
pressed!  As far as referencing some posters as "newbies", I'm not
backing down, because it is obvious, they DON'T know this area, its'
history OR it's long-time residents!  People who have lived here at
least 10 years, have seen Asbury Park evolve from virtually NOTHING
into a vibrant, living, forward moving and exciting environment,
even with the Palace, gone! Even with the beautiful theatres, clubs,
all gone!  There's virtually no Black restaurants, bars around here,
like the Saturn, Oasis, Orchid Lounge, Madonnas, etc., because they
were either burned out or bought out, in the case of the Saturn Club
on Main St.  Madonnas was located where City Hall, is.  The Oasis is
closed on 1st Ave. The Orchid burned down a few years ago on
Springwood and Memorial Drive and The Turf Lounge sits empty on
Springwood and Atkins Ave. Sure, a new Black restaurant opened on
Bond St., but Carribean food is not my culture and a new restaurant
just opened on Asbury Ave., but Haitian is not my culture, either.
No disrespect to either group, but I am African-American.  The only
flag I know is Red, White and Blue!  My people have been here over
400 years and I am a descendant of slaves, whose tribes, language
and culture, I know very little about, much less, which tribe I came
from.  The system, expects us to serve America in times of war, for
democracy for others, while we can't be a part of democracy at home!
When this country talks about "All-Americans", they aren't referring
to US!  People in this forum, who use "coded speech" and "fear
tactics", don't realize how racist and bigoted their views are,
because they excuse themselves, when others see them for what they
really are!  Now you figure it out.