Asbury Park does not want this shelter
Community is struggling to get back on feet as is

BY PAUL VAIL
Friday, March 2, 2007

The Market Street Mission of Morristown is trying to open a branch in
Asbury Park.

>From where I sit, this would be a homeless shelter, drug and alcohol
treatment center, soup kitchen and used-car facility in the heart of
Asbury Park, a seaside community struggling to come back after almost
40 years of serious decline.

Our city already hosts numerous tax-exempt charitable institutions
that serve our disenfranchised residents and people from the
surrounding area.

Our city does more than its fair share in this regard.

We cannot afford to allow the mission to operate a facility that will
bring almost 900 additional homeless and/or addicted men from all
over New Jersey to Asbury Park every year. Our city zoning board
initially rejected the mission's variance application to set up
operations here.

The mission appealed on a technicality and won.

Stand Up For Asbury, a group of concerned citizens, appealed this
reversal. Rather than face Stand Up For Asbury in state superior
court, the mission signed a consent order allowing the matter to
return to our zoning board.

During the first hearing conducted last month, the city of Asbury
Park learned that the Market Street Mission is not licensed by the
state of New Jersey to treat drug and alcohol addiction, nor is it
licensed to sell automobiles.

The mission never brought this to the attention of our zoning board
when it first petitioned for variances.

Zoning board hearings on this matter will continue next month.

Disregarding the advice of the superior court judge in Freehold, the
mission scrambled to open its doors in Asbury Park a few weeks before
our zoning board could begin its hearing on the matter.

Our fire department had to shut the mission down last week after an
inspection revealed that the shelter had no fire-preventing sprinkler
system in its dormitory.

It is apparent that the Market Street Mission holds the people of
Asbury Park, its zoning board, state Superior Court and minimum state
safety codes in contempt.

Stand Up For Asbury cannot allow the mission to steamroll its way
into our city.

The people of Asbury Park have fought hard to bring this city back
from the abyss and we still have a long way to go.

Our city cannot afford to take on the additional burden of the
thousands of ex-cons, pedophiles, alcoholics and drug addicts from
all over New Jersey that the mission intends to bring to our home
year after year.

Editor's Note: The Market Street Mission declined an opportunity to
write a column summarizing its position on this issue.

Paul Vail is a resident of Asbury Park.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/kOt0.A/gOaOAA/yQLSAA/Y2tolB/TM