I recently did some research involving the hispanic community in the
US.  When you ask what their aspirations are the number one answer by
a wide margin is learning english.  They recognize that English in
this country is the key to success.  However many don't have the
opportunity to prioritize learning english given the cost of classes
and the need to work to put food on the table and they can get by
without learning it as their frends, family and local communities are
often either Spanish dominant or Spanish-friendly.

I do think this is a bit different than past migrations to the US
which were more diverse and more of a "melting pot" with English as
the common denominator vs. today's spanish-language dominant
immigration.  I've never been a supporter of a national language in
part because I always felt that it was being suggested more as a
punative anti-immigrant measure.  But perhaps it is time if done
properly.  And with that should be some way of trying to help
immigrants learn the language.