--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "asburycouple" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I do think this is a bit different than past migrations to the US
> which were more diverse and more of a "melting pot" with English as
> the common denominator vs. today's spanish-language dominant
> immigration.  I've never been a supporter of a national language in
> part because I always felt that it was being suggested more as a
> punative anti-immigrant measure.  But perhaps it is time if done
> properly.  And with that should be some way of trying to help
> immigrants learn the language.

I've lived among Hispanic communities my whole life until the past 20
years. My daughter teaches kindergarten in public school in Sunset
Park Brooklyn, the headquarters for Mexicans in NYC. Every Mexican kid
is bilingual while most of their parents do not speak English. Anytime
parent participation is called for, the parents show up at the school.

Assimilation? Thank God we never have full assimilation. We'd never
have Little Italys, Chinatowns, etc. What would we do without
salumerias? I could not live. How boring an assimilated world would
be. I am glad that I live and work in the most exotic and global place
in the world.